Greetings to all
Now that I have had a day to recover, I want to thank all who came out to our first meeting of 2018. It was wonderful to see all of the camaraderie and exchange of ideas. I had a ton of suggestions and ideas passed on to me that will need to be reviewed with the executive. One suggestion for which approval is not needed is that I send out a summary of the evening as a review to all that came and background to those that could not make it. I will also send out a separate email outlining the requirements for the monthly challenge as requested.
Highlights from the January 10, 2018 ODCC meeting
Introduction of Executive
- Aris Pakalns – President
- Kimberly Wynn – Treasurer
- Peter Gallagher – Social Media
- Vicki Sherwood – Venue, Insurance
- June Gunn – Events
- John Wynn – Past President
Goals / Structure of ODCC
– ODCC is now based on a calendar year (January – December)
– Membership is maintained at $30/yr, $50/Family or $5 each meeting
– Excerpt from the ODCC Mission Statement:
“ … creating an environment in which photographers can learn from each other.”
– We have a wide range of abilities in club from novice to professional
– The clubs goal is to make every one of us a better photographer by the end of the year.
– Education -New topic every month covering photographers, techniques, software, etc.
– Encourage mentoring of new photographers by experienced ODCC members
– Monthly Challenge
– Based on education provided
– Max 3 images
– 3 questions – how did you take the image? Camera settings?
– What drew you or what was your thought process?
– What would you like to see improved
Meetings consist of 3 parts
Part 1 – Monthly Challenge critique
– Comments about image by maker based on above 3 questions
– If maker not comfortable speaking, moderator will present
– ODCC Member comments – Impact
– What’s good
– What can be improved
Part 2 – Break
– Encourage discussion about meetings, suggestions, etc.
Part 3 – Education and new monthly challenge.
– Tough to organize, poor attendance
– We need photo destination ideas
– Very expensive
– We need new ODCC volunteers
– Photo News – Free subscription to Canadian photo magazine
– CanAm Photo Expo – 3-day event taking place in Niagara Falls
– Glennie – John Wynn will provide more information
– Naturalist Club – We will post information about their outings for our members and hopefully some of their members will join us.
– Video of member images – John will continue to produce for a maximum of 6 months and will train a replacement.